There’s a lot to talk about with Butler so I’ll just mention the parts that I feel are most important
Butler is an extremely powerful BD, to the point of it being overpowered, it needs to be nerfed. Butler is almost on the level of the Prince in terms of power, because Butler:
- Is very easy to confirm (except in cult games)
- Can deny kills + conversions just like Prince by occupying the killers/converters
But in addition to this, Butler:
- Is non-unique, meaning up to three of this pseudo-Prince can spawn in a game
- Can protect himself twice from almost all attacks/conversion by partying (unless they are sorc bombed, or the killer/converter is occ immune, which is quite rare)
- Can confirm himself as a 100% BD King without a shadow of a doubt by poisoning the king + partying and stepping if the king was EK/neut/PK
The problem I have with Butler’s direct occupation is that he can completely cripple evils, and there really isn’t anything that they can do about it, if Butler makes the decision to chain occupy them. Prince can do the same thing, but it’s balanced out by the fact that Prince is unique, and a number of other factors. Drunk at least has some counterplay, most killers can choose to not attack if they think they are going to get debauched/HHed, Sorceror can detonate, and Reaper can CoD to kill the Drunk.
Just kill/convert the Butler right? Well no, because if the Butler has outed his claim and drawn attention to himself then it’s likely that he’ll just decide to party. He can do this twice in a row if he wants, or in the most critical moments so that he can ensure his existence in the late game. Why should the (arguably) second most powerful BD member be able to protect himself from basically everything, twice?
And if the Butler thinks that King is evil, poisons him, parties, steps, and Prince/another Butler or Drunk is alive so it isn’t too much of a loss to king him, BD can have a 100% BD king - there is very, very little counterplay to this.
So basically, Butler has the power of Prince (minus the axes), plus 2 charges of “you can’t kill or convert me”, plus “i am 100% confirmed by poisoning EK, i partied elect me for king”. This power is also non-unique, good luck trying to get anything done as starting evil when there is 2 or more butlers + living prince (even worse if there is a Mercenary or other living offensives)
I think it’s ridiculous to give Butler this much power and I would like to see it nerfed slightly, somehow.