FoLrus - Entries Open Until November

Welcome to FoLrus!

Basic Info

What’s a Walrus?

A walrus is an event where one or more judges post a list of categories. Entrants may then submit a song they feel is both good and appropriate for the category. The judges then listen to all of the songs and subjectively rank them from worst to best, and reveals how everyone did.

Why’s a Walrus?

The term comes from the twoplustwo forums, where they were originally referred to as Trololollapaloozas. Walrus as a name may not make much sense, but at least it’s an upgrade?

How do I participate?

Just choose songs that you think are good and fit each judge’s category, and follow the directions below to submit them. Then, when each judge is ready to reveal their results, you can listen along in the Breadbox discord!

How does scoring work?

The place your submission to a given category is placed will be the number of points you get from that category - 1st place will get 1 point, 10th place will get 10 points, and so on. Overall scoring will operate on a drop-one system - each player’s worst category will not be counted towards their final score, and the rest of their scores will be summed. The player with the lowest number of points is crowned the FoLrus Champion!

How can I maximize my score?

Although this is a purely subjective event rather than a hyper-competitive one, scoring will be done to help encourage picks. As such, hosts will generally score songs they like but have never heard before over songs they have heard, and songs they listen to all the time may score relatively poorly. You don’t have to go way out on a limb, but try to avoid obvious tracks the host will surely know!

Can I submit multiple times?

Yes, although you must make an entire slate of submissions at one time - ie, if you submit two songs to each category, you must make one submission as a group of nine and another submission as a separate group of nine. The scores for these submissions will be independent - rather than awarding you the point value of whichever submission scored lowest in a given category, each submission’s total will be calculated separately.
Attempts to abuse this system by spamming low-quality submissions will result in all of your submissions being thrown out.

Are there any other restrictions on submissions?

Submitting a song that is overly long will make it hard for the judge to adequately assess it - if you’re going to go over approximately 5-7 minutes in length with any song, please do so sparingly! If the host ends up skipping your song, it’s going to do poorly and nobody will have gained anything from your submission. Also, if a host has given any example tracks, don’t submit an example track right back at them. Similarly, don’t submit the same song multiple times within or across submissions.

Can I tell people what I subbed?

Not the hosts - in order to ensure a fair playing field, hosts won’t know who subbed all of the songs they’re scoring. To maintain this, please do not discuss your subs publicly, or anywhere a host might see them. If you would like to, in private, ensure you and another person do not submit the same song, that’s fine, but no more than that please!

Category Info

1. @Marshal - Non-Christmas Holiday Music

Description - People are already starting to play Christmas music. It seems like almost all holiday music is Christmas-oriented and I’m here to change that. I’m looking for songs that would work as music for other holidays. They shouldn’t be written for that holiday, but still work as a song for your chosen holiday. You can choose any holiday (National, International, one of those stupid made up ones like “corndog day”, or any day that people would have reason to celebrate [see example tracks]), but you’ll score better if I at least know of the holiday beforehand. When submitting a song, please provide both the song link and the holiday it represents, as shown in the “How to Submit” section. A large amount of my scoring will go to how well it fits the submitted holiday, as well as just how much I like the song.

My Likes - I personally prefer rock or pop music but I will listen to just about anything

Bans - Christmas music (obviously) and Train. Otherwise go wild.

Example Tracks:
If I Could Turn Back Time - YouTube (Daylight Savings Time)
Meredith Brooks - Bitch (Official Video) - YouTube (Katze’s Birthday)
Talking Heads - Psycho Killer - YouTube (Halloween)

2. @Marluxion - Don’t Skip the Opening

Description - Any songs that also double as an opening or ending theme song to a game or show. Anything from your favorite anime opening to something goofy like the Danny Phantom theme song or even the F.R.I.E.N.D.S. opening. Please include what piece of media your song is an opening or ending theme song for!

My Likes - J-Rock, J-Pop, Metal. I enjoy most genres except country.

Bans - Anything that isn’t an opening or ending theme song for another piece of media.

Example Tracks:
KANA-BOON - Silhouette - YouTube (Naruto)
"SpongeBob SquarePants" Theme Song (NEW HD) | Episode Opening Credits | Nick Animation - YouTube (Spongebob Squarepants)
I'll be there for you - The Rembrandts - Friends song lyrics - YouTube (F.R.I.E.N.D.S.)

3. @Chloe - Rainy Daze

Description - Fire season in California has almost come to an end, and fall is finally here. The temperature has recently dropped to a comfortable ~70 degrees, and my favorite overcast days are right around the corner, but I’m in a bit of a drought when it comes to music that fits the mood. Give me songs to vibe to while sipping hot cocoa and listening to the raindrops hit the roof - songs for a lazy and comfy autumn day at home.

My Likes - I listen to a bit of everything, but lately I’ve been into the following:
Alternative rock, Indie rock, Indie pop, Indie folk, Folk rock, Folk, Alternative country, Bedroom pop

Tldr: I love acoustic stuff tbh.

I like when a song has unique and interesting lyrics, but I also love a good instrumental piece. I’ll be listening to everything multiple times because the first time I hear a song I tend to focus on the percussion/bass/guitar/etc., so perhaps keep this in mind when subbing.

Bans - This category has no artist bans, but I do suggest avoiding the following if you want to get a high score:

Most of my top artists in the last ~6 months

Alvvays
The Avett Brothers
Beck
Ben Folds
Ben Folds Five
Brandi Carlile
Cake
Clairo
Clever Girl
Coldplay
Darlingside
Death Cab for Cutie
dodie
The Family Crest
Far Caspian
Fountains of Wayne
Frank Ticheli
fun.
girl in red
Good Boy Daisy
The Head and the Heart
Iron & Wine
John Denver
John Williams
Led Zeppelin
The Lumineers
Michael Giacchino
The National
Neutral Milk Hotel
The Oh Hellos
The Paper Kites
Radical Face
Radiohead
Ramin Djawadi
Shearwater
Sleeping at Last
The Smashing Pumpkins
SUGR?
SYML
Tom Petty
Tracy Chapman
Villagers
Weezer
The White Stripes

If you submit an unofficial/remixed ‘rain version’ of a song I won’t listen to it and will instead find the original, or whatever comes up first in my search, and score that instead. (:

Example Tracks:
Darlingside - Old Friend (Instrumental)
Iron & Wine - Such Great Heights
The Avett Brothers - November Blue
Villagers - Nothing Arrived
Radical Face - One Last Dream

4. @Katze - Stone, Iron, and Steel

Description - S.I.S for short, because much to Chloe’s shock, this category is for more than just metal! It’s also for hard rock! Okay, it’s mostly metal. Uhh… did you know that Iron is the second most abundant of all metals on earth?

My Likes - Power metal, alternative metal, hard rock, rock, heavy metal, pirate metal… you probably get the hint. I generally dislike screamo/death metal, but not all of it. Meme music that falls under the prior criteria is accepted but bad meme music is worse than bad not-meme music tbh.

Bans - This will probably be stupid, but go wild! I’m going to score more on unfamiliarity than most people, though! Unless I recognize literally every submission

Example Tracks:
GLORYHAMMER - Rise Of The Chaos Wizards | Napalm Records - YouTube
Dragonforce - Fury of the Storm - YouTube
Afterlife - YouTube
Battlefield (Remastered 2017) - YouTube

5. @KyoDaz - Best Transition/Bridge/Interlude

Description - Anything that could be considered a transition such as the entrance to a chorus from a verse, the entrance to a verse from a chorus, the cross-over of two different singers or the cross-over of two different songs entirely!

My Likes - I like a very wide range of music; from Marilyn Manson’s Tainted Love to Gee by Girls Generation. However, my preferences generally slide towards Electro-pop, Disco-pop, Synth-pop, Dance-pop.
I much prefer fast music to slow music. I’d advise aiming for at least 100bpm.

Bans - Lady Gaga, Tainted Love by Marilyn Manson, Gee by Girls’ Generation, the example tracks

Example Tracks:
Billie Eilish - bad guy - YouTube
Lady Gaga - Chromatica I / Alice - YouTube
Lady Gaga - Chromatica II / 911 - YouTube
Lady Gaga - Chromatica III + Sine From Above (with Elton John) [seamless transition / full song] - YouTube
Roman Holiday - YouTube

6. @sulit - Bike Ride Vibes

Description - I want the epic bike ride bangers. It’s getting closer to fall for me here so whatever you think works for a nice, 60 degree bike ride. Chill vibes? Cool. On top of the world vibes? Cool. Just some bangers? I am down dude. Whatever you think best fits cruising on a bike. I will (try to) listen to all subs whilst riding my bike.

My Likes - I’m fine with almost anything. Lyricless, rap, oldies, newer songs. The only thing I will really refuse to listen to is country (unless it is my girl taylor) and if a song gets too scream-y or hurts my ears.

Bans - Basically anything in here tbh. Queen, ABBA, Aerosmith, Gwen Stefani, fun., Green Day, etc. If the name’s in there, its likely I’ve listened to at least a couple of their songs.

Example Tracks:
Test Drive (From How To Train Your Dragon Music From The Motion Picture) - YouTube
Heart - "Barracuda" (1977) - YouTube
Burning Pile - YouTube
Don't Stop Me Now - YouTube

7. @DatBird - Stickerbush Symphonies

Description - Nothing is like fighting the final boss of a game, to be hit with a new track that just feels so emotional and culminates the entire journey before hand. Now I’m not asking for only final boss themes of video games, but just a piece that makes you feel some hard emotions or just want to get out of your gamer chair and just groove. To be clear I want a single song not an OST(i dont got time for 10+ 2 hour osts). Finally I have listened to a lot of game soundtracks, bonus points if you get something I never heard before. I would love to find new games to play out of this through the music alone.

My Likes - I usually like songs with just catchy melodies that i can easily hum along with, or something with lyrics that I can sing along with. Great examples of both things would be like 3D Mario Music (ex. Dire Dire Docks, New Donk City) or anything from the Guilty Gear Strive OST (ex. Out of the Box, Play the Hero, What do you fight for). I love all Nintendo music, but if u pick something from there there a chance I heard it. As long as its catchy I prob would like it.

Bans - Anything from FFXIV, the 3D Mario Platformers, Guilty Gear Strive, Persona 3-5, main series Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, or Kingdom Hearts. All of them i heard to death and want something new.

Example Tracks:
Donkey Kong Country 2 - Stickerbush Symphony - YouTube
FFXIV OST - Alexander: Cruise Chaser's Theme (Exponential Entropy) - YouTube
Delfino Plaza - Super Mario Sunshine [OST] - YouTube

8. @WindwardAway - Songs to Play When Sieging a Castle

Description - Have you ever felt like you needed a glorious playlist to listen to while charging a battering ram at the gates of your enemy? Now’s your chance to make your dream a reality! We want to hear songs that awaken your most medieval instincts, songs that inspire your war cry, and songs that fit the vibe of a siege - it can be any castle or fortress, in any land!

My Likes - Traditional folk music, metal, techno… be creative! Diverse selections are more than welcome if you feel they fit the theme. Sabaton is always appreciated but will not get points for creativity.

Bans - If you submit a country song, you’re sieging the wrong building, buddy.

Example Tracks:
Eluveitie 02. Epona - YouTube
Tenaya River - YouTube
Hanggai - The Rising Sun / 初生的太阳 汉语字幕版 - YouTube

9. @orangeandblack5 - Wildcard

Description - Have a song you really love that doesn’t fit any of the other categories that you think I’ll like? Try to wow me with it! Bonus points if I’ve never heard it before and end up liking it.

My Likes - Pretty much anything except country and modern pop/hip-hop has a chance of working for me. I tend to favor rock and alternative music in general, but that also means I’m the most familiar with it. Electronic music can be hit-or-miss, as can rap, but if you give me a good one in those categories it will do really well. Instrumental pieces (such as classical, jazz, soundtracks, etc) are also fair game.

Bans - None, but if I listen to it every day or it’s super commonly known it may not score as highly as something I haven’t heard. To aid in this, I will link a Spotify playlist with a bunch of stuff I have heard - if you want to search through it (via the search button in the desktop app or via scrolling down the alphabetical list in browser) to see if your song is already there, be my guest. You will not be dinged for skipping this - I’m not going to intentionally score songs I don’t like as much very far above songs I like more regardless of novelty. However, if I like two songs about the same but one is new to me, it’ll do better.
Also, just because something isn’t on that list doesn’t mean I won’t like it, and just because a band is on that list DOES NOT MEAN I HAVE HEARD ALL OF THEIR SONGS. I literally just discovered a new-to-me Coldplay song two weeks ago and I have like 50 of their songs on that playlist. I strongly recommend you use this list to check submissions rather than to inform them.

Example Tracks:
None - it’s a wildcard category, and if I give you examples all it’ll do is narrow the range of things I get!

How To Submit

Send @Arete a PM on the forums with the topic “FoLrus - [username]” and the holiday for the first category, TV show or other media for the second category, and links to each of your nine songs, each placed on their own line. Links should have a backtick (`) in front of and behind the link.

A submission should look like the following:

April Fool’s Day
Family Guy
`https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ`
`https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsC8jQXRbQE`
`https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Ig3X59_qA`
`https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_b7RDuLwcI`
`https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLzxrzFCyOs`
`https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXMskKTw3Bc`
`https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YGlEL8lD8U`
`https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyOqGRjVtls`
`https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO7bRMa9bmA`

The backticks (`) are very important to include in forum PMs - please do not forget them!

Note that YouTube links are strongly preferred where possible.

If, for whatever reason, you choose not to submit to a certain category, please leave a blank line for it, and also reply to the PM with another message to confirm which category should be blank. Note that you will get the lowest possible score for any category you do not submit to.

For those making multiple submissions, please add the letter whose number corresponds to your submission after your username - for example, if I were to make two submissions, I would call them “orangeandblack5 - A” and “orangeandblack5 - B”. If you originally make one submission but then add another later, it is fine to instead have your submissions named “orangeandblack5” and “orangeandblack5 - B”.

If you do not have an account on the forums, but would still like to participate, you may send a list of the same general format to Arete#7872 on Discord - however, you will not include the backticks. Instead, after you have posted your submission, please remove all embeds from your submission post by clicking the ‘X’ button on one of the videos that pops up.

All submissions are due by 2021-11-01T04:00:00Z!

Current Submissions

• EliThePsycho
  • DatBird
  • Emilia
  • Whysper
  • Syn
  • Bloobird
  • Shad [A]
  • Egix
  • Simon
  • mansnicks
  • Marshal
  • Insanity
  • GGhana [A]
  • GGhana [B]
  • nutella
  • Mistyx
  • Arete
  • Cowboy Bob
  • Shad [B]
  • MaximusPrime
  • Karma_Dope
3 Likes

what do you mean it’s an animal

1 Like

How do i become a judge

3 Likes

have you heard of the seven trials

Sadze

2 Likes

is it okay if i like, reserve a PM for when i’m done collecting songs

budder

3 Likes

Question

Is writing a piece and submitting that allowed

That’s probably fine, so long as you reply to it so Arete knows when your submission is finalized.

1 Like

There’s nothing explicitly banning it but I don’t imagine it would score well

1 Like

May i take your comment as an insult

guys what do you mean you can’t guess what the judges listen to all the time just do??

1 Like

okay so

this literally just happened

2 Likes

theres a reason i ask

did you actually see that?

to be fair Epi got second in the only revealed category so clearly this isn’t an inherently losing strategy

1 Like

2 Likes

i would like to be evil villany and say i did

in reality i just have a couple tunes id just like to show off to ppl

1 Like

pro tip cloned, if you write and submit a song called “Sieging a Castle in my Truck” for Wind’s category you’ll score poorly but it’ll be really funny (to me)

6 Likes